GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS IN THE BATHTUB
It was Sunday night. The youth had sung their last song. The youth director turned to the congregation to let us know that they were about to do something special and without further explanation, for us to just “take it for what it means”. The young people began to walk up to different ones in the congregation with a towel. They wiped their feet and then handed the towel to that person who in turn went to someone else doing the same. A bit puzzled and not wanting to be put on the spot, I hoped that nobody would come to me. It was right about then that a young girl came to me, wiped my feet and then handed me the towel to do the same. I said, “You’ve got to be kidding.” You would have thought she handed me a hot potato. I couldn’t get rid of it quick enough. I immediately slid down the pew to the little boys sitting on the other end. A quick swipe of the feet and the towel was tossed in their laps. They were so happy and had a big time with it… hopping up in delight and running around the church to find the next victim. I pondered the whole incident on the way home that night. I became so humiliated and embarrassed when I realized what was really going on… An old fashioned foot-washing… something I had never seen before…something that was meant to be very meaningful. The more I thought about it the dumber I felt. As the night went on I became consumed with thoughts of condemnation… thoughts like how could I be so stupid… you dummy… you idiot. I had trouble sleeping. I got up the next morning and still, the thoughts came. I went to take a bath and right there in the bathtub I prayed this… “God, I am always trying to fix things myself when I am troubled. I would like to call Cathy Gassner (A lady who I didn’t know well but I had always noticed she was very inspiring). However, I’m not going to call her God. I’m going to wait on you to help me.” At that very moment, my husband knocked on the bathroom door and said, “Hey Lu, Cathy Gassner just called and wants you to call her back.” Immediately the heaviness lifted. I felt total joy. It didn’t matter what she had to say. God had answered me. He loved me. He cared. The funny thing was that Cathy was not able to make it to church the night before. She had no idea about the service but just called because I was on her mind.
Yes, God answers prayers in the bathtub. He sent Cathy to wash my feet.
It was Sunday night. The youth had sung their last song. The youth director turned to the congregation to let us know that they were about to do something special and without further explanation, for us to just “take it for what it means”. The young people began to walk up to different ones in the congregation with a towel. They wiped their feet and then handed the towel to that person who in turn went to someone else doing the same. A bit puzzled and not wanting to be put on the spot, I hoped that nobody would come to me. It was right about then that a young girl came to me, wiped my feet and then handed me the towel to do the same. I said, “You’ve got to be kidding.” You would have thought she handed me a hot potato. I couldn’t get rid of it quick enough. I immediately slid down the pew to the little boys sitting on the other end. A quick swipe of the feet and the towel was tossed in their laps. They were so happy and had a big time with it… hopping up in delight and running around the church to find the next victim. I pondered the whole incident on the way home that night. I became so humiliated and embarrassed when I realized what was really going on… An old fashioned foot-washing… something I had never seen before…something that was meant to be very meaningful. The more I thought about it the dumber I felt. As the night went on I became consumed with thoughts of condemnation… thoughts like how could I be so stupid… you dummy… you idiot. I had trouble sleeping. I got up the next morning and still, the thoughts came. I went to take a bath and right there in the bathtub I prayed this… “God, I am always trying to fix things myself when I am troubled. I would like to call Cathy Gassner (A lady who I didn’t know well but I had always noticed she was very inspiring). However, I’m not going to call her God. I’m going to wait on you to help me.” At that very moment, my husband knocked on the bathroom door and said, “Hey Lu, Cathy Gassner just called and wants you to call her back.” Immediately the heaviness lifted. I felt total joy. It didn’t matter what she had to say. God had answered me. He loved me. He cared. The funny thing was that Cathy was not able to make it to church the night before. She had no idea about the service but just called because I was on her mind.
Yes, God answers prayers in the bathtub. He sent Cathy to wash my feet.

2 Comments:
Luann, will you wash my nasty stinking feet sunday? pj
PJ
The time you came to my sister’s funeral when I didn’t even know you.
The countless times you prayed for me
The time you gathered the church around my son before he left for Iraq.
The countless times you prayed for Matt
The countless times you prayed for Ben
The countless times you prayed for Nick
The times you spent talking with my sons
The times you counseled me
The time you visited my Grandmother in the hospital
The time you came to my Grandmother’s funeral.
The time you helped my Daddy back up the hill
The time you read scriptures to me
The times you simply believed in me
The times you came to my place of work for ministry
The times you gave gifts
The times you let me help
The times you made me feel like I belonged
The times you bragged on me or my family
The times you made me laugh
The times you were hard to make me grow
The times you made me cry
The times you encouraged me
The times you encouraged me again
And again… and again
The times you sacrificed
The times I didn’t notice your sacrifices
I WASH YOUR FEET BROTHER.
Post a Comment
<< Home