IT'S MIND BLOGGLING

My place to pause, ponder, praise & play.

Name:
Location: Calera, Al

THAT I MAY PUBLISH WITH THE VOICE OF THANKSGIVING, & TELL OF ALL THY WONDROUS WORKS

Thursday, November 20, 2008

LOOK AWAY DIXIE LAND

It was my first “AI” experience. I was almost too late getting my yorkie Rumba to the breeder, but she was going to “give it a shot” anyway. Leslie brought out her little stud from among her 28 dogs. I assumed they would just run around together til they hit it off so to speak, but no… “We are going to artificially inseminate her,” Leslie informed me. She explained that they could hurt or damage one another if we didn’t do it this way. Reconciled to the fact, I then asked how she was going to get point A out in order to get it into point B. Maybe I could have kept a straight face if I had been breeding for 25 years, but my jaw dropped and I couldn’t help but laugh when she told me she would give the dog a hand job. There was something just not quite right about this was all I could think. Since when did humans step in and interfere with an animal’s breeding procedures? I had full confidence these dogs could figure it out on their own. I still think the little stud could have done a better job at it than she did. Needless to say, I paid her for the services and chose to allow her to do her thing…(or his!)… I’d never seen such a thing in all my life…the dog and breeder, the syringes, tubes and Dixie cups. One month later I ran Foxy Trot back down for her turn. That brings us to Cha Cha.(or Gi Gi now). I gave her to my Dad’s Baptist preacher and his wife, with the understanding they would pay me back in puppies. The name change?... Duh!!!... He’s a Baptist Preacher! It’s a good thing I didn’t give them Tango. I can hear the new name now… Sango… or with the subject matter “at hand”… Wango! I found a breeder closer to home this time. I showed up for my appointment. With one ring of the doorbell, all 13 Yorkies chimed in to welcome us. The breeder reassured me that her dogs didn’t bite as we walked to the kitchen. I know I was feeling teeth and would check to see if they broke the skin when I got home. The first thing I noticed was her kitchen island... There it was again… Syringes, tubes and the Dixie Cup! This time I was prepared for what was about to happen. She put her sire down by Cha Cha… excuse me, Gi Gi and he began to run around her, sniffing and hopping up and down like a rabbit. At least it seemed like he had the right idea. For a moment I thought maybe they were going to get to do the real thing… NOT! She sits down on the floor with the infamous “Dixie cup” (if the Dixie Cup Company only knew!) the dog loses interest in Cha Cha… I mean Gi Gi. He runs to the breeder sticking his nose in the Dixie cup and looks up at her. He was experienced and knew what the Dixie cup was all about. I chose to look away and give the poor guy his privacy.

I don’t know if Foxy or Cha…Gi Gi is pregnant yet, but I’m proud to say, that Rumba is expecting one puppy 10 days from now. Seems like a lot of work for just one puppy, but I’m sure that it will be worth it. If it’s a boy and born on the due date of the Alabama/Auburn game, maybe I will name the new baby Saban. If it’s a girl, maybe “Twinkle Toes” in keeping with dance names. Or maybe I should name it, “Dixie”. One thing I’m sure of though… I don’t think I will ever use Dixie cups again for any reason.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I am laughing so hard. It is a wonder you can't hear me from my desk...

12:55 PM  
Blogger John Edwards said...

Congrats!!!!!!

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey LuAnn! What a perfectly gross story! I'm with you girl friend...I think nature should take its course. coni

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home