IT'S MIND BLOGGLING

My place to pause, ponder, praise & play.

Name:
Location: Calera, Al

THAT I MAY PUBLISH WITH THE VOICE OF THANKSGIVING, & TELL OF ALL THY WONDROUS WORKS

Thursday, November 13, 2008


WARRIOR: A FIGHTER: ONE WHO TAKES PART IN OR IS EXPERIENCED IN WARFARE: ONE TAKING PART IN CONFLICT OR STRUGGLE.


This is Warrior. About 7 or 8 years ago, Adrienne & my son Ben picked him up on the side of a long country road that led to the Warrior River in Adger. He was the ugliest dog I had ever seen in my life but it didn’t keep us from taking him in. (RESCUE #1)


Warrior was about a year old when Nick, my 13 year old at the time wanted to take him to a convenient store he was going to. I told him to be sure to put him on a leash because the street the store was on was very busy. Warrior was a “herding dog”, stemming from his Australian Shepherd heritage. I told him that he would get run over if he wasn’t on a leash. As children sometimes do, my son ignored what I said. About 20 minutes later I get a phone call from a vet that said Warrior had been hit by a car and the man who hit him had brought the dog and my son to the vet. Warrior was in critical condition and was bleeding internally. I agreed to let them do what they could to save him. Five hundred dollars later Warrior survived. (Rescue #2)

Warrior eventually mastered the art of hurdling our fenced in the backyard. That was a problem and that’s when Adrienne’s mother agreed to take him since she had a 6 foot fence. (Rescue #3)

Warrior or maybe I should say Houdini, eventually conquered the 6 foot fence. He either went under or through it. That brings us up to a couple of weeks ago… the unthinkable happened… Animal Control. They are not nice and are in it for the money. They are a profit organization. Unfortunately, his owner was moving out due to financial problems and could no longer help or keep him. It was almost too late when I found out. My sons urged me to help. I put out a desperate email asking for help. Fortunately, a lady from a rescue responded and helped us get him out of jail for ten bucks instead of what was fast becoming a $200 plus bill. She sent a Mexican on behalf of the rescue to pick him up. For the moment… Thank God for illegal Aliens. (Rescue #4)

Warrior will be neutered and updated on shots. I agreed to let him stay at my house only one night. Having yorkies in heat with a dog 10 times their size in the back yard was too much of a risk. When my son arrived, Warrior jumped out of his car and relieved himself for a very long time. I wondered how a dog could hold that much. He was as ugly if not uglier than I remembered, yet it did my heart good to know that his death sentence was suspended. Warrior now lives on a zip line between 2 trees. Anybody interested in (RESCUE #5?)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure he is not a cat with nine lives? LOL

That boy has been around hasn't he? I think that you had better find him a home in the country as he probably used up all of his luck.

Wish you good luck in finding him a home.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on dog rescue and on writing. I do hope he finds a home. If my yard were fenced all around I would take him. He really would get killed as I live by the interstate. I pray someone will give him a good home for the remainder of his life.

5:33 AM  
Blogger John Edwards said...

hEY lulu!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home